Intestate Succession In Washington

by ECL Writer
Intestate Succession In Washington

Are you struggling to understand the intricacies of intestate succession in Washington? Look no further! In this comprehensive guide, will demystify the complex world of intestate succession, providing you with the knowledge and tools necessary to navigate this often confusing process. Whether you’re an executor of an estate, a potential heir, or simply curious about the laws surrounding inheritance in Washington, this guide is tailored to meet your needs. We will tackle important topics such as the order of priority for inheritance, the role of a personal representative, and the distribution of assets. With our expert insights and practical advice, you can confidently navigate the complexities of intestate succession and ensure that your loved ones’ estates are distributed according to the laws of Washington. So, let’s dive in and unravel the mysteries of intestate succession together!

Understanding Intestate Succession Laws in Washington

Intestate succession in Washongton refers to the process of distributing a person’s assets and property when they pass away without a valid will. In Washington, the laws governing intestate succession are outlined in the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) Title 11. These laws determine how the assets will be distributed among the deceased person’s heirs.

The order of priority for inheritance in Washington is as follows:

  • Spouse and registered domestic partner
  • Children and their descendants
  • Parents
  • Siblings and their descendants
  • Grandparents
  • Aunts, uncles, and their descendants
  • The state of Washington

It’s important to note that if there is no surviving spouse, the assets are generally divided equally among the children. If there are no children, the assets may pass to the parents or other relatives in the order of priority.

Which Assets Pass By Intestate Succession

Intestate succession laws only apply to assets that pass through probate. Since many priceless assets are not subject to the probate process, intestate succession laws are not applicable. Here are a few instances:

  • property that you have given to a living trust
  • profits from a life insurance policy with a beneficiary specified
  • assets in a named beneficiary’s IRA, 401(k), or other retirement account
  • holdings in a transfer-on-death account for securities
  • property that you have a transfer on the death deed for
  • automobiles that are registered with a transfer on death
  • bank accounts with a death benefit, or
  • property that you jointly own or own in full with another person.

Who Gets What In Washington?

Who receives what in an intestate succession depends on whether you have living parents, children, or other close relatives when you pass away. Here is a brief summary:

If you die with:here’s what happens:
children but no spousechildren inherit everything
spouse but no children, parents, or siblingsspouse inherits everything
parents but no children or spouseparents inherit everything
siblings but no children, spouse, or parentssiblings inherit everything
a spouse and childrenspouse inherits all of your community property and 1/2 of your separate property

children inherit 1/2 of your separate property
a spouse and parentsspouse inherits all of your community property and 3/4 of your separate property

parents inherit 1/4 of your separate property
a spouse and siblings, but no parentsspouse inherits all of your community property and 3/4 of your separate property

siblings inherit 1/4 of your separate property

The Spouse’s Share In Washington

In Washington, if a married person passes away without leaving a will, whether their spouse inherits anything depends in part on whether the couple owned their property separately or as communal property. Property obtained during a marriage is typically considered communal property, but property purchased prior to marriage is considered separate property. There are a few significant exceptions: Even though they were obtained during a marriage, gifts, and inheritances given to one spouse are considered separate property.

Your community property share will pass to your spouse. Your spouse will inherit all or a portion of any separate property you have (many couples blend everything together and don’t have any separate property). Whether you have living parents, kids, or siblings affects how much of your separate property your spouse receives. If you do, your separate property will be divided between them and your husband in accordance with the guidelines in the chart above. In Washington, registered domestic partners must abide by the same laws as married persons.

Children’s Shares In Washington

In Washington, your children will inherit an “intestate share” of your assets if you pass away without making a will. Depending on how many kids you have and whether or not you’re married, each child’s portion will vary in amount. (Refer to the top table.)

Children must be legally regarded as your children by the state of Washington in order for them to inherit from you under the intestacy statutes. This is not a complex issue for a lot of families. But sometimes it’s not obvious. Here are a few things to remember.

  • Adopted children. Children you legally adopted will receive an intestate share, just as your biological children do. (Washington Rev. Code § § 11.02.00526.33.260.)
  • Foster children and stepchildren. Foster children and stepchildren you never legally adopted will not automatically receive a share.
  • Children placed for adoption. Children you placed for adoption and who were legally adopted by another family will not receive a share. (Washington Rev. Code § 11.04.085.) However, if your biological children were adopted by your spouse, that won’t affect their intestate inheritance.
  • Posthumous children. Children conceived by you but not born before your death will receive a share. (Washington Rev. Code § 11.02.005(8).)
  • Children born outside of marriage. If you were not married or in a registered domestic partnership with your children’s mother when she gave birth to them, they may receive a share of your estate if your paternity is established under Washington law. (Washington Rev. Code § 26.26.101 discusses the methods for establishing paternity.)
  • Children born during your marriage. Any child born to your wife or registered domestic partner during your marriage or partnership is assumed to be your child and will receive a share of your estate. (Washington Rev. Code § 26.26.116 discusses the presumption of parenthood.)
  • Grandchildren. A grandchild will receive a share only if that grandchild’s parent (your son or daughter) is not alive to receive his or her share. (Washington Rev. Code § 11.04.015.)

Will The State Get Your Property?

Your assets will “escheat” into the state’s coffers if you pass away without a will and have no surviving family members. The laws are made to provide your property to anyone who is even vaguely related to you, thus this very rarely occurs. For instance, if you leave behind a spouse, children, grandchildren, parents, grandparents, siblings, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, or cousins, your property won’t belong to the state.

The Importance Of Having A Will In Place

While intestate succession laws provide a framework for distributing assets when there is no will, it’s crucial to understand the importance of having a will in place. By creating a will, you have the power to decide how your assets will be distributed after your passing. This allows you to provide for specific individuals or organizations that hold significance in your life.

A will also allows you to appoint a personal representative, also known as an executor, who will be responsible for managing your estate and ensuring your wishes are carried out. Without a will, the court will appoint a personal representative based on the order of priority outlined in the intestate succession laws.

Probate Process In Washington

When a person dies without a will, their estate typically goes through the probate process. Probate is the legal process of validating a will, if one exists, and distributing the assets of the deceased person. In Washington, the probate process is overseen by the Superior Court in the county where the deceased person resided.

The probate process involves several steps, including:

1. Filing a petition with the court to open probate

2. Notifying interested parties, such as heirs and creditors

3. Taking an inventory of the deceased person’s assets

4. Paying any outstanding debts and taxes

5. Distributing the remaining assets to the heirs according to the intestate succession laws

It’s important to note that the probate process can be time-consuming and costly. Having a valid will in place can streamline the process and potentially avoid the need for probate altogether.

Determining Heirs And Distribution Of Assets

When someone dies without a will, determining the rightful heirs and the distribution of assets can be a complex process. In Washington, the intestate succession laws determine who qualifies as an heir and how the assets are distributed among them.

If there is a surviving spouse, they are typically entitled to a significant portion of the assets. The exact share depends on whether there are also surviving children or other relatives. If there are no surviving children or relatives, the spouse may inherit the entire estate.

If there are surviving children or other relatives, the assets are divided among them according to the order of priority outlined in the intestate succession laws. For example, if the deceased person had children but no surviving spouse, the assets would be divided equally among the children.

Special Considerations For Blended Families

In cases where there are blended families, navigating intestate succession can be particularly challenging. A blended family typically refers to a family in which one or both spouses have children from previous relationships.

In Washington, if a person dies without a will and leaves behind a surviving spouse and children from a previous relationship, the surviving spouse is entitled to a portion of the assets, and the children also have rights to a share. The exact distribution depends on various factors, including the length of the marriage and the age of the children.

To ensure that your assets are distributed according to your wishes in a blended family situation, it’s essential to work with an experienced estate planning attorney who can help you create a comprehensive estate plan.

Navigating Intestate Succession With No Immediate Family

In cases where a person dies without a will and has no surviving spouse, children, or immediate family members, the distribution of assets becomes more complex. In such situations, the intestate succession laws in Washington dictate that the assets may pass to more distant relatives, such as parents, siblings, or even more distant relatives like aunts, uncles, or cousins.

If there are no surviving relatives, the assets may pass to the state of Washington. However, it’s important to note that the state will make reasonable efforts to locate any potential heirs before taking possession of the assets.

Challenging A Will Or Intestate Succession In Court

In some cases, individuals may wish to challenge a will or the distribution of assets under intestate succession. Challenging a will or intestate succession in court can be a complex and lengthy process. It typically requires legal representation and a strong case based on valid grounds, such as undue influence, lack of testamentary capacity, or fraud.

If you believe that a will or the distribution of assets is unfair or invalid, it’s crucial to consult with an experienced probate attorney who can guide you through the legal process and help protect your rights.

Estate Planning Strategies To Avoid Intestate Succession

To avoid the complexities of intestate succession and ensure that your assets are distributed according to your wishes, it’s important to engage in proactive estate planning. Here are some strategies to consider:

1. Create a valid will: A will allows you to specify how you want your assets to be distributed after your passing. It also allows you to appoint a personal representative and provide instructions for other important matters, such as the care of minor children.

2. Establish a revocable living trust: A revocable living trust allows you to transfer your assets into a trust during your lifetime. This can help avoid the probate process and provide for the seamless transfer of assets to your chosen beneficiaries.

3. Designate beneficiaries for retirement accounts and life insurance policies: By designating beneficiaries for these accounts, you can ensure that the assets pass directly to the designated individuals, bypassing the probate process.

4. Consider gifting assets during your lifetime: Gifting assets to loved ones during your lifetime can help reduce the size of your estate and potentially minimize estate taxes. However, it’s important to consider the potential tax implications and seek professional advice before making any significant gifts.

Other Washington Intestate Succession Rules

Here are a few other things to know about Washington intestacy laws.

  • Survivorship period. To inherit under Washington’s intestate succession statutes, a person must outlive you by 120 hours. So, if you and your brother are in a car accident and he dies a few hours after you do, his estate would not receive any of your property. (Washington Rev. Code § 11.05A.020.)
  • Half-relatives. “Half” relatives usually inherit as if they were “whole.” That is, your sister with whom you share a father, but not a mother, has the same right to your property as she would if you had both parents in common. However, there is an exception for property inherited from your ancestors, which must stay in the blood family according to Washington law. (Washington Rev. Code § 11.04.035.)
  • Immigration status. Relatives entitled to an intestate share of your property will inherit whether or not they are citizens or legally in the United States.
  • Slayer and abuser rule. Someone who willfully and unlawfully kills you or financially abuses you will not receive a share of your property. (Washington Rev. Code § 11.84.020.)
  • Advancements. If you gave a relative property during your lifetime, the value of this property can be subtracted from your relative’s share if it is proven to be an advancement and not a gift. (Washington Rev. Code § 11.04.041.)

Seeking Legal Guidance For Intestate Succession

Navigating the complexities of intestate succession in Washington can be overwhelming, especially during an already difficult time. It’s highly recommended to seek the guidance of an experienced probate attorney who can help you understand the laws, protect your rights, and ensure that the estate is administered properly.

An attorney can assist you with tasks such as filing the necessary paperwork, notifying interested parties, and guiding you through the probate process. They can also provide valuable advice on estate planning strategies to avoid intestate succession and ensure that your wishes are carried out.

Conclusion: Taking Control Of Your Estate Planning

Navigating the complexities of intestate succession in Washington can be challenging, but with the right knowledge and guidance, you can take control of your estate planning. By understanding the intestate succession laws, the importance of having a will, and the various estate planning strategies available, you can ensure that your loved ones’ estates are distributed according to your wishes.

Remember, it’s never too early to start planning for the future. Whether you’re considering creating a will, establishing a trust, or simply seeking advice on estate planning, consulting with an experienced attorney can provide you with the necessary tools to navigate the complexities of intestate succession and secure the future for yourself and your loved ones.

So, take the first step towards a comprehensive estate plan today and gain peace of mind knowing that your affairs are in order.

Leave a Comment

This blog is ONLY for informational or educational purposes and DOES NOT substitute professional legal advise. We take no responsibility or credit for what you do with this info.