New York City is one of the most iconic and romantic cities in the world, making it a popular destination for couples looking to tie the knot. From the stunning skyline views to the historic landmarks, there’s no shortage of beautiful wedding venues in the city. But before you can say “I do,” you’ll need to navigate the process of obtaining a marriage license and planning your ceremony. In this article, Eastcoastlaws.com will take a closer look at what you need to know about getting married in New York City, including the legal requirements for obtaining a marriage license, the waiting period, and some tips for planning your perfect New York City wedding. Whether you’re a local or a visitor, this guide will help you navigate the process of getting married in the Big Apple.
How And Where To Apply For A Marriage License In NYC
You first need to obtain a marriage license in New York City before you can officially wed. Couples can either start the application procedure online and finish it off at a New York Marriage Bureau (online applications are only good for 21 days), or they can finish it all off there. Locations in each of the five boroughs are listed below.
You and your fiancé(e) should be ready to supply the following details while filling out the application:
- Name and current address
- Country of birth
- Date of birth
- Name and country of birth of your parents
- Social security number
- If you have been married before, you’ll also need to list your previous marriages
- If widowed, your former spouse’s full name and their date of death (or death certificate)
- If divorced, the date and location your divorce decree was issued.
Bring with you proper forms of identification including proof of age and photo ID, such as:
- Driver License or Learner Permit with photograph (from the United States of America or any of its territories)
- Non-Driver Identification Card with photograph (from the United States of America or any of its territories)
- Active United States Military Identification Card
- United States Certificate of Naturalization (good for 10 years after the date of issue)
- United States Permanent Resident Card
- United States Employment Authorization Card
In New York City, a marriage license costs $35. This amount must be paid when the couple applies for their license and may be paid with a credit card, certified check, or money order. The New York City Clerk’s office should be contacted for the most recent details on marriage license fees and payment options as it is crucial to remember that these may be subject to change.
You must get married within 60 days of receiving your NYC marriage license in order to use it. The marriage cannot be performed until at least a complete 24 hours have passed since the marriage license was granted.
NYC Marriage Bureau Locations
Manhattan Marriage Bureau
Location: The NYC City Clerk’s Office is located at 141 Worth St., New York, NY 10013
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 3:45 pm
Brooklyn Marriage Bureau:
Location: The Brooklyn City Clerk’s Office is located in the Brooklyn Municipal Building at 210 Joralemon Street, Room 205, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 4:00 pm
Queens Marriage Bureau:
Location: The Queens City Clerk’s Office is in the Borough Hall Building at 120-55 Queens Boulevard, Ground Floor, Room G-100, Kew Gardens, NY 11424
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 3:45 pm
Bronx Marriage Bureau:
Location: The Bronx City Clerk’s Office is located within the Supreme Court Building at 851 Grand Concourse, Room B131, Bronx, NY 10451
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 4:00 pm
State Island Marriage Bureau
Location: The Staten Island City Clerk’s Office is located in the Borough Hall Building at 10 Richmond Terrace, Room 311, (please enter at the entrance located at the intersection of Hyatt Street and Stuyvesant Place), Staten Island, NY 10301
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 4:00 pm
Have A Marriage Ceremony In New York
To get married in New York City, you’ll need a witness, a wedding officiant from the city, who will also handle the paperwork and conduct the ceremony. Most celebrants will work with you to create a ceremony that is precisely what you want. Yet, if you’re searching for a low-stress, quick alternative, getting married inside City Hall in New York is the fastest option.
If you choose to get married at City Hall, all you have to do is show up at the Marriage Bureau with your paperwork and be prepared to stand in line since there are no reservations. Bring a credit card to pay the $25 ceremony fee, your marriage license, and a photo ID from the government. You must all fill out and sign the marriage license in front of the Clerk. You must have at least one witness, but you may have up to two.
Weddings At New York City Hall
New York City Hall is a popular destination for couples looking to tie the knot. The iconic building, located in Lower Manhattan, offers a variety of wedding services for couples looking for a simple yet elegant ceremony. Weddings at New York City Hall are often quick and affordable, but they still offer a memorable experience for the couple and their guests.
One of the benefits of getting married at New York City Hall is the simplicity of the process. Couples can obtain their marriage license and get married in the same location, which saves time and reduces stress. The city clerk’s office is open from Monday to Friday and offers same-day wedding ceremonies, so couples can easily plan their wedding day without having to wait for months to secure a date.
The wedding ceremony at New York City Hall is usually held in the beautiful Marriage Bureau room, which can accommodate up to 20 guests. The room is adorned with marble floors, high ceilings, and beautiful chandeliers, creating a romantic atmosphere for the couple and their loved ones. The ceremony is typically officiated by a city clerk, and the couple can exchange their vows and rings in front of their guests.
After the ceremony, couples can take advantage of the beautiful scenery surrounding New York City Hall for photos. The building’s beautiful architecture and the bustling streets of Lower Manhattan provide a perfect backdrop for the newlyweds’ first photos as a married couple.
Receive Your New York City Marriage Certificate
Your marriage certificate will be given to you immediately following the ceremony if you get married at the City Clerk’s Office. If your wedding takes place elsewhere, the City Clerk’s office will process and mail your marriage license to you after they receive it from your marriage officiant. This procedure will take about 20 days. Within a month of your wedding, you should get in touch with the city clerk’s office where you got your marriage license if you haven’t received your Certificate of Marriage Registration.
Non-US Citizen Weddings In New York City
New York City is a popular destination for weddings, attracting couples from all over the world. If you’re a non-US citizen looking to get married in New York City, there are a few things you need to know to make the process as smooth as possible.
Firstly, you will need to obtain a marriage license from the City Clerk’s office. To do this, you will need to provide identification, such as a passport, and proof of age. You may also need to provide a birth certificate, depending on your country of origin. If any of your documents are not in English, you will need to have them translated by a certified translator.
It’s important to note that some countries may require additional documents or certifications, such as a certificate of no impediment or a single status affidavit. It’s a good idea to check with your country’s embassy or consulate in the United States to find out what additional documentation may be required.
Once you have obtained your marriage license, you can get married at the City Clerk’s office or at any other location in New York City that is authorized to perform weddings. It’s important to note that some locations may require additional permits or fees for non-US citizens.
After the wedding, you will receive a marriage certificate, which you can use to update your legal documents, such as your passport and driver’s license. It’s important to keep this certificate in a safe place, as it is an important legal document.
Getting married in New York City as a non-US citizen requires some additional documentation and preparation, but it is a popular and feasible option for couples from all over the world. With proper planning and documentation, you can have a beautiful and memorable wedding in the city that never sleeps.
Choose Your Wedding Officiant
Choosing a wedding officiant is an important decision in planning your wedding ceremony. The officiant will be responsible for leading the ceremony and ensuring that it reflects your values and beliefs as a couple. Here are some things to consider when choosing your wedding officiant:
- Personal connection: You want to feel comfortable with your officiant and have a personal connection with them. Schedule a meeting or call with potential officiants to get a sense of their personality and style.
- Religious affiliation: If you are looking for a religious ceremony, you may want to choose an officiant who shares your religious beliefs and can incorporate them into the ceremony.
- Non-religious ceremony: If you are looking for a non-religious ceremony, you may want to choose an officiant who specializes in secular or humanist ceremonies.
- Flexibility: Some officiants may have strict guidelines or requirements for the ceremony, while others may be more flexible and open to incorporating your personal preferences and traditions.
- Experience: Look for an officiant who has experience performing weddings and is comfortable leading the ceremony in front of a large group of people.
- Reviews and references: Read reviews and ask for references from past couples to get a sense of their experience with the officiant.
- Legal requirements: Make sure the officiant is authorized to perform weddings in your state and can provide the necessary paperwork and documentation for your marriage license.
Ultimately, the choice of wedding officiant comes down to personal preference and what feels right for you as a couple. Take the time to research and meet with potential officiants to find the one who best fits your vision for your wedding ceremony.
Popular Wedding Venues In New York City
New York City offers a wealth of wedding venues, from elegant ballrooms to trendy rooftop bars. Here are some of the most popular wedding venues in New York City:
- The Plaza Hotel: This iconic hotel located in Midtown Manhattan offers several elegant ballrooms and event spaces that can accommodate weddings of all sizes. The Grand Ballroom is particularly stunning, with its crystal chandeliers and ornate gold décor.
- The Foundry: This industrial-chic venue in Long Island City offers a unique backdrop for weddings with its exposed brick walls, soaring ceilings, and outdoor courtyard. The space can accommodate up to 200 guests.
- Central Park: This sprawling park in the heart of Manhattan offers several picturesque spots for outdoor weddings, including the Conservatory Garden, the Bethesda Terrace, and the Shakespeare Garden.
- The Rainbow Room: This iconic venue located on the 65th floor of Rockefeller Center offers stunning views of the city skyline and can accommodate up to 300 guests. The Art Deco-inspired décor adds a touch of glamour to any wedding.
- The Bowery Hotel: This boutique hotel in the trendy neighborhood of Bowery offers several event spaces that can accommodate weddings of all sizes. The elegant Ballroom features floor-to-ceiling windows and can accommodate up to 200 guests.
- The Brooklyn Winery: This urban winery in Williamsburg offers a rustic yet chic backdrop for weddings, with its exposed brick walls and industrial-chic décor. The space can accommodate up to 165 guests.
- The High Line Hotel: This historic hotel located in Chelsea offers several event spaces, including a beautiful outdoor garden and an elegant ballroom. The space can accommodate up to 250 guests.
Best Times Of The Year To Get Married In New York City
New York City is a popular destination for weddings year-round, but the best time of year to get married in the city depends on your personal preferences and priorities. Here are some factors to consider when choosing the best time of year to get married in New York City:
- Weather: If you’re looking for warm weather and sunshine, the best time to get married in New York City is during the summer months of June through August. However, keep in mind that the summer months can be humid and crowded, so you may want to consider a less popular venue or schedule your wedding during the cooler months.
- Budget: The most popular wedding months in New York City are May through October, which can drive up prices for venues and vendors. If you’re looking to save money, consider getting married during the off-season months of November through April.
- Seasonal Events: New York City is home to many seasonal events and festivals, which can make for a fun and festive backdrop for your wedding. For example, a winter wedding in December could take advantage of the holiday decorations throughout the city.
- Availability: Popular wedding venues and vendors may book up quickly during peak wedding season. If you have your heart set on a particular venue or vendor, it’s a good idea to book well in advance to ensure availability.
Ultimately, the best time to get married in New York City is the time that works best for you and your partner. Consider your priorities and preferences when choosing a date, and don’t be afraid to think outside the box and embrace the unique character of the city.
Consider A Weekday Wedding
Weekends are when Central Park hosts the majority of its events. Like you, many other engaged couples have scheduled their weddings for the same day as yours. Scheduling your ceremony for the week will help to assure greater privacy and fewer attendees. If there isn’t a wedding nearby, your wedding will feel more unique.